Announcing Software Quotes website
I carried around a text file for quite a few years and every time I heard a great software related quote I'd add it to the file. The file got relatively big so I thought I could turn it into a website to make it easy to discover and share these quotes for myself and others. So Software Quotes was born. This is by no means an exhaustive list of all quotes about software development but rather those I find interesting and influential or funny. Here is a few examples:
- "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute." - Abelson and Sussman
- "Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month." - Wernher von Braun
- "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." - Parkinson’s Law
- "Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- "It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong." - John Maynard
- "One Man's Crappy Software Is Another Man's Full Time Job." - Jessica Gaston
The website still has quite a few rough edges and issues. Well, I thought if I am not embarrassed by my first product release, I've released too late!
The source code of the blog, which is based on Octopress, is available on GitHub. So if you find any issues or mistakes or if you would like to contribute an awesome quote either raise an issue on GitHub or even better send me a pull request.
I hope you find this useful.